Mentoring for Future Black Lawyers
We are a progressive UK Top 100 law firm known widely for our technical expertise and inclusive culture. We have a strong focus on Diversity and Inclusion because we recognise that increasing diversity will help us nurture the best talent, deliver the best outcomes for our clients and make us a great place to work.
What to expect from our Thrive Mentoring Programme
As part of our range of diversity initiatives, we’re proud to offer our Thrive Mentoring Programme to support and develop the next generation of talented Black lawyers.
Our Thrive Mentoring Programme pairs our legal professionals with students from traditionally under-represented groups, so that every student and graduate can fulfil their potential regardless of background.
Our mentors are supportive and experienced lawyers who will offer one-to-one impartial guidance, encouraging you to grow, develop and improve your confidence to prepare you for a future career in law.
You will have the opportunity to select your mentor, and together, over a period of six months, you will discuss your personal development goals and plan how to achieve them. This programme is fully remote however there may be opportunities to meet face to face.
At the end of the programme, we will provide you with a completion certificate to celebrate your achievement. We will also invite you to future Training Contract Insights sessions, recruitment workshops and networking opportunities with other aspiring lawyers from across our programmes.
"I think the initiative is important because it not only promotes inclusion in the early career space, but also provided a unique diversity scheme to directly support aspiring black professionals. I commend employers like RWK Goodman for participating and supporting diversity and inclusion in every aspect of their business."
Our programme offers many benefits including:
- Getting industry insight, practical advice, encouragement and support to help you feel empowered.
- Improving your confidence and resilience to help you succeed.
- Sharing experiences to provide a mutual learning opportunity.
- Developing your communication, study and personal skills.
- Building your personal and professional network in preparation for your future career.
How to apply
This programme is open to candidates who are Black African, Black Caribbean, Black British, or of mixed heritage. Candidates must also meet ALL the relevant following criteria:
- Studying at a UK University at undergraduate (second or final year) or postgraduate level or
- Recently graduated from a UK University (with a minimum 2:2)
- Have an interest in pursuing a legal career in the UK.
- Have not accepted a training contract with any law firm or legal team.
Applications close on 1 December 2023, with the Programme running from January 2024 – June 2024. To apply, complete the application form on our website. Successful applicants will be invited to a virtual interview during December 2023.