Gemma is a partner and a specialist employment lawyer dealing with all contentious and non-contentious areas of employment law.
Gemma worked in the horse racing industry before entering the legal profession. She studied for a law degree with the University of London, while continuing to work part-time. Gemma has been a partner at Royds and now Royds RWK Goodman since 2003.
Gemma has specialised in employment law since qualifying as a solicitor. Her particular areas of expertise include:
- all forms of tribunal claims including unfair dismissal, sex, race and disability discrimination
- all commercial aspects of TUPE transfers
- advising on workplace policies such as maternity, paternity and flexible working
- advising on staff handbooks
- advising on employment contracts
Gemma’s clients range from retail outlets and charities to senior level employees.
She also acts, with partner Richard Woodman, on behalf of the Mauritian government handling cases on appeal from the Mauritian Supreme Court to the Privy Council, which is interesting and varied work involving both civil and criminal appeals.
Gemma regularly speaks at seminars and workshops on changes in employment law affecting both small and large employers.
In her spare time, Gemma enjoys racing, hill/fell walking and travelling.
- Gemma is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association
“unfailingly energetic and charming”