Paul Dorrans is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution team at RWK Goodman with a focus on commercial and financial services disputes, FCA investigations, fraud, and financial crime. Paul has substantial experience in acting for commercial and financial services firms as well as high net worth individuals across multiple jurisdictions, including the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, and the broader Asia Pacific region.
Throughout his career Paul has acted for investment managers, investment and commercial banks, funds, payments firms, and senior individuals within those organisations. Described as having “a very reassuring presence” Paul “rightly gives clients great confidence. He shows excellent judgement” and as being “great to work with, pragmatic, commercial” (Legal 500 2024). Paul has extensive in-house experience, having been seconded to a leading investment bank in London, an international commercial bank in Hong Kong, and the regulatory enforcement division of a stock market regulator.
Paul acts on a broad range of disputes and regulatory matters, often with an international element, including market abuse and other misconduct investigations, litigation arising from market standard agreements such as the ISDA Master Agreement and the LMA, and in respect of broader commercial and corporate disputes and investigations.
Paul is admitted as a barrister and solicitor in New Zealand, as a solicitor in Hong Kong, and is a registered foreign lawyer in England and Wales.
- Successfully defending an international investment bank in proceedings in the Commercial Court arising from a contested distressed debt trade.
- Advising an international retail and commercial banking group in Hong Kong litigation initiated by a minority activist shareholder.
- Successfully defending a leading commercial bank in relation to a €250m claim by a commercial counterparty for losses said to arise from alleged failures to follow appropriate KYC and AML procedures.
- Advising hedge funds and other financial services firms in connection with market conduct issues, including insider dealing and market abuse.
- Advising a leading financial institution in relation to a wide-ranging investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption.
- Successfully acting for a leading international corporation to obtain urgent injunctive relief and associated disclosure orders in connection with the fraudulent transfer of US$20 million to numerous bank accounts with six international banks in Asia.
- Advising an international bank in relation to various jurisdiction challenges and misrepresentation claims in the Commercial Court in London in respect of derivatives sold under the ISDA Master Agreement.
- Acting for an international financial institution in relation to claims of defamation, conspiracy, and breach of trust and confidence by a former employee.
- Providing day-to-day regulatory and litigation advice to fintech and international payments firms.