Capacity, Care and Court of Protection | Wills, Trusts and Estates
- Advising families and business owners in relation to protection, tax efficient structuring and succession. Advising international families on non-domicile status and the ownership, protection and realisation of their UK assets
- Establishing lifetime trusts and advising on their management
- Drafting tax efficient Wills
- Arranging a hybrid offer in lieu of IHT for a pre-eminent archive collection, upon the termination of a family trust of heirlooms
- Advising elderly and vulnerable clients and those who support them in relation to the management of their finances and family affairs, including the operation of powers of attorney and trusts.
High value estates involving intestacy, foreign assets and foreign trusts, conditionally exempt property, agricultural property, continuing life interest trusts, business assets, private treaty sales and deeds of variation.
Successful applications on behalf of attorneys including:
- to make gifts in excess of £1.5m from a client’s wealth for tax planning purposes
- to execute a deed of variation of a client’s sister’s estate to save £280,000 inheritance tax.
- Advising a major religious charity on:
– the renewal of its Royal Charters;
– arranging a Charity Commission Scheme to consolidate over 200 sub-trusts into eight main trust funds with bespoke objects; and
– a variety of trust and governance matters
- Advising two different charitable trusts, both governed by 1950’s trust deeds, on converting to a CIO
- Advising the trustees of a major retailer’s employee benevolent fund on the challenges arising from changes in the status of the employer leading to its eventual liquidation.
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Charity Law Association
Learn more about Deanna's areas of expertise
"Private client work is for me the perfect combination of intellectual application and personal contact. I enjoy finding solutions for the great variety of issues which arise when advising individuals, families and charities on tax and trust law."