Financial Services Sector | Dispute Resolution
Tom is a partner in our Dispute Resolution Team specialising in commercial disputes, injunctive relief and contentious data protection disputes.
Prior to joining RWK Goodman in summer 2020, Tom worked in the dispute resolution team of a large international law firm for over 10 years, acting for multinational clients in complex High Court disputes.
Tom regularly advises on commercial disputes across all sectors, including financial services, tech and innovation, professional services, IT, TMT, energy and manufacturing.
Tom’s typical instructions relate to outsourced service disputes, IT contracts (in particular platform development agreements), distribution agreements, warranty claims, shareholder disputes, insurance disputes and professional negligence claims. Tom also advises on insolvency related matters.
Tom has a particular specialism in injunctions, regularly obtaining search and seizure orders, recovering and preventing the misuse of confidential information, and enforcing restrictive covenants. Often this arises from team move disputes.
Tom also advises clients on regulatory and data protection matters. This includes defending claims arising from data breaches, responding to data breaches and cyber security incidents, and advising on the steps that can be taken to prevent confidentiality / data breaches in the first instance.
In addition, whilst Tom typically acts on complex litigation, his team regularly assist with lower value disputes. Tom has set up and run multiple managed service arrangements to provide a cost efficient solutions for in-house legal teams seeking to manage such disputes.
Tom's notable cases
- acting on a high profile breach of confidence claim for a leading insurance broker, seeking injunctive relief and damages. This case was reported and set a precedent for the interim deletion of misappropriated confidential information. (Arthur J. Gallagher Service UK ltd v Skriptchenkov and others  EWHC 603);
- obtaining a freezing order following the misappropriation of over £1m by a senior claims manager for a financial services firm, and successfully recovering the majority of the funds taken;
- acting for a HNW individual in relation to a complex £5m dispute arising from the provision of funding for a business acquisition, dealing with issues relating to insolvency and accusations of fraud;
- acting for a property developer in a £7m dispute with a debt platform lender arising from the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the development;
- acting on a high value dispute between two gas exploration companies concerning the breach of a joint venture gas exploration agreement for offshore Ghana;
- acting on a dispute between an international health provider and a broker in relation to the repudiatory breach of an exclusive distribution agreement;
- acting on a dispute between a major pensions services provider and an IT developer in relation to the termination (for material breach) of an agreement to build a new pension administration platform;
- acting on a £15m shareholder dispute/unfair prejudice claim following the passing of a 50% shareholder.
- acting for a private school in a misselling claim against an energy broker;
- advising a pensions services provider on liability under legacy service agreements and the application of US sanctions on affected clients;
- acting for an international insurance broker in a dispute as to the correct calculation of deferred consideration under an SPA following an acquisition;
- acting for a private equity fund in relation to a warranty claim following the purchase of a telecare services provider;
- acting for an international medical insurer in respect of various disputes with suppliers, including medical services suppliers and outsourced services suppliers (in particular the supplier of business critical IT services);
- acting for an international franchise based in Canada bringing a claim against one of its former UK franchisees regarding breach of contract, breach of confidence, copyright infringement, passing off and trademark infringement;
- defending various high-profile misselling claims against financial advice firms in relation to tax avoidance schemes, tax deferral schemes, and overseas property schemes.