Health & Social Care Sector | Dispute Resolution | GDPR
Fran is an Associate in our Dispute Resolution team and has experience in acting for individuals and companies in a wide range of commercial disputes. She is recognised by Legal 500 as a key lawyer in the team.
Fran joined our Dispute Resolution and Health & Social Care teams in 2018, focusing on both commercial disputes and contentious data protection and social care matters.
Her instructions often involve advising on regulatory matters involving the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) in addition to considering preventative action that businesses can take to avoid non-compliance.
Fran oversees a large portfolio of claims being pursued against one of our business clients to support its in-house legal team in managing these disputes. Typically, Fran works collaboratively with senior lawyers on larger, more complex litigation and regulatory matters however regularly finds ways to deal with lower value matters cost effectively and commercially for clients.
In February 2020, Fran and two of her colleagues climbed Kilimanjaro to support a local homelessness charity, Julian House. Together, they raised over £11,000.
- Health and Social Care
- Insurance coverage disputes (including business interruption insurance)
- acting for companies in contentious data protection and breach of confidence claims relating to cyber security incidents, data breaches and website cookies and advising on regulatory compliance with the ICO
- issuing injunctive proceedings for breach of restrictive covenants by former employees and/ or shareholders of companies
- acting for purchasers of shares and assets in breach of SPA or APA warranty claims
- defending a large telecommunications provider in claims from consumers and small businesses
- acting for creditors and debtors in insolvency proceedings (bankruptcy and liquidation) and advising liquidators on settlement of claims
- numerous challenges to CQC inspection reports for care providers
- acting in successful appeals to the First Tier (Care Standards) Tribunal of Notices of Decision to cancel or vary the registration of care services
- pursuing local authorities, private funders and CCGs for payment on behalf of care providers
- advising care providers on safeguarding matters
- assisting care providers in data protection matters and requests for records following death
- helping companies (including care providers) to get defamatory comments posted about their business online removed
I felt extremely supported by Fran. Everything was clearly explained, and she was very understanding and empathetic to me throughout this whole period which has been so traumatic for me. I have felt fortunate to have Fran there to support me, explain each step clearly, answer questions and explain terminology that I didn't understand. Fran ensured that each step and process was followed. Her attention to detail throughout allowed me to have total confidence and trust in her advice. Fran has the ability to maintain professionalism with humanity and understanding which are qualities needed in such stressful situations as I have experienced.