Ahead Together presents: Families after Brain Injury – the Untold Stories
About Ahead Together conference 2023
Join us to hear from a community of professionals and family members with experience of acquired brain injury (ABI). With the mission of helping professionals guide families through the often much changed life after ABI, the Ahead Together conference is back this year to provide clinical, legal, research and deeply personal perspectives on the impact of brain injury on families and to shine a light on their untold stories.
Hear from a range of speakers, including professionals and family members, on the importance of supporting families after brain injury and get unique perspectives on issues that are often left out of conversations about brain injury. We will be joined by special guest, author Damian Barr, who will deliver the keynote presentation.
The conference will be followed by a drinks reception which will be the perfect opportunity for the attendees to process the emotional stories they will have heard throughout the day, network with like-minded professionals, and enjoy a drink under the stunning painted ceiling of an iconic Oxford building.
Our line-up of speakers includes our regular experts who will bring fresh insights and new facets of their knowledge of the ABI field, as well as some new faces.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Damian Barr — Writer, broadcaster and Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, Damian will open the conference and talk about his own lived family experience of ABI
- Sir Chris Bryant MP — MP for Rhondda who leads the ABI strategy consultation on behalf of the Government.
- Tracy Norris-Evans — Partner and head of Injury division at RWK Goodman
- Dr Audrey Daisley — Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist, Oxford
- Dr Mark Holloway — Senior Brain Injury Case Manager & Expert Witness
- Nicola Hughes — Business Consultant and wife of a brain injury survivor
- Dr Alyson Norman — Associate Professor of Psychology, University of Plymouth
- Dr Ndidi Boakye — Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist, Couples Therapist and Director of The Psych Practice
- Nicola Cale — Assistant Case Manager, CCMS
- Dr Gavin Newby — Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist, Director of Newby Psychological Services
- Stephanie Thompson— wife of rugby player Steve Thompson, survivor of sports-related ABI
- Dr Gaby Parker — Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist, Allied Neuro Therapy
- Ian Carrier — Partner and Head of Oxford Personal Injury team, RWK Goodman
- Lisa Burnyeat — mother with lived experience
- Trevor Greenaway — Business Consultant and father of a brain injury survivor
Who should attend
The conference is aimed at professionals in the field of acquired brain injury, including neuropsychologists, psychologists, case managers, social workers, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, academics, and brain injury professionals within charitable organisations.
When and where
Thursday 11 May 2023
In person: The conference will take place in the Sir Victor Blank Lecture Theatre, Weston Library, Oxford, OX1 3BG. Lunch and post-conference drinks will be served across the road from the library, in the iconic Sheldonian Theatre.
Virtual: via exclusive live stream
Time: 9am – 5pm
9am – 5pm
Download the full event programme here
£99 + VAT
Image courtesy of the Sheldonian Theatre, Copyright James Whitaker
Have you completed family-focused research / service development / quality improvement projects in the area of brain injury? Ahead Together conference 2023 attendees are invited to submit abstracts describing projects that focus on innovations in the area of family experience of brain injury.
How to enter
- Please submit your abstracts to [email protected] by 1 April 2023. We encourage abstracts to be written in a manner that is accessible to a wide audience. Abstracts should be no longer than 200-250 words.
- All submitted abstracts will be judged by Ahead Together experts involved in the conference who will draw up the shortlist of 10 abstracts.
- Authors of 10 shortlisted abstracts will be invited to purchase in-person conference tickets and bring along A3 posters to be displayed at the venue on the day of the conference.
- The 10 shortlisted abstracts will also be included in the conference brochure that all conference attendees will receive on the day.
- The winner will be determined by the vote of all conference attendees on the day of the conference.
- The winner will be announced at the end of the Ahead Together conference.
- The winner(s) will receive £250 worth of vouchers to spend at Blackwell’s bookshop as the prize. Please note that the prize is per submission, i.e. the total amount of vouchers will be shared among multiple authors, if applicable.
- After the conference, the winner will receive the official certificate confirming their award.
Join the conference in person to network with like-minded professionals. Includes tea/coffee breaks, lunch and post-conference drinks reception in the iconic Sheldonian Theatre.
Watch the conference via an exclusive live stream. Includes post-conference debrief session with other virtual attendees, led by a Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist.
If you have any questions or require additional information about the conference, please email us [email protected]
More about the Untold Stories of brain injury
Brain injury remains little understood by wider society.
In our Untold Stories Hub we hope to share some of the hidden issues that come with brain injury and demonstrate how they affect individuals and their families.